Saturday, January 21, 2012

Today's post comes from an en email my friend sent to me last week. She was looking for some answers on some nutrition questions and she knows I can never turn down an opportunity to educate on ways to increase wellness.

Hey Christy -

I really appreciate your inspiration to make a healthier family. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and spent more considerable time reading labels and trying to make better food choices. My bill was twice as much! So frustrating. Not because I don't think the monetary investment is not worth it - I just don't think it should break the bank to be healthy!


On behalf of the food industry I would like to apologize about the fact that it is so much more economical to eat like crap. It can be expensive to eat “clean”. My grocery budget is ridiculous. We also have a supplement budget, which is pretty ridiculous, too. The worst part is there are not really any coupons for “health food”, although I did see coupons for Cascadian Farm brand in this week’s ads. Kudos to them. This is the big reason I shop at Wal-Mart because I can typically save 30% on my bill, however, some things I have to get from Publix because Wally world simply doesn’t carry them. Keep your eye on the weekly ads and look for natural items that fit your food budget. I agree that no one should go into debt over groceries, but I personally consider eating “healthy” or “clean” non-negotiable for my family. I understand the association between disease and highly processed/refined foods all too well and so we cut back in other areas. We don’t really eat out much anymore and this alone has saved us quite a bit.

#1: What's the deal with yogurt? I think I read every single label and every third ingredient is SUGAR. What do you think is a healthy yogurt choice? Or avoid it all together? I'm not a big fan, but my girls do like it.

When milk is being converted to yogurt the natural lactose sugar is removed in the process. So, to make it taste sweet, manufacturers add sugar back in the form of fructose, sucrose or sugar substitutes like sucralose and aspartame. If you enjoy yogurt but not the sugar, you can buy the plain white yogurt. (Greek yogurt has more protein per serving.) Then you are in control to sweeten it as much or as little as you like with honey, stevia, agave nectar or fruit, raisins, etc.

#2: What is considered breakfast? Eating within an hour of waking up? Eating before 10AM? I recognize the importance of eating breakfast, just not sure of the timely definition.

When you eat breakfast depends on your type of metabolism and your internal clock. Some people eat their first meal at 6am and others at 10am or even later. I would recommend eating within an hour of waking up to help jump start your metabolism and get things going. It doesn’t have to be heavy. An egg and a small bowl of oatmeal is just perfect for me, but a well balanced smoothie can be a quick and easy option, too.

#3: Smoothie ingredients - do you have any advice on "fillers" Protein powder, flax seed, etc.? I want to get the most bang for my buck :) And how you found the most cost effective place to purchase these extras?

For supplements like protein powder, check out places like the Vitamin Shoppe. This is where we usually buy our supplements. Vitamin Shoppe often has 20% off coupons and sometimes you can find great stuff on clearance, just make sure you check the expiration date and ask if it’s safe for kids. Look for a naturally flavored 100% whey protein with no synthetic ingredients, creatine, and stimulants. A serving is typically two scoops, but I usually use one scoop for me and a ½ scoop for the kids. A 3lb tub will easily last you a month. Also, once you find what you like, you can compare prices online. If you can get free shipping, online surplus is often a real money-saver. Flax isn’t too pricey in the long run because it lasts a long time as long as you keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge. I like to use raw sunflower seeds in my smoothies. Papaya makes a great addition to a smoothie. Also, I like to add some type of greens, i.e. Kale or spinach. Experiment with it and have fun!


Thanks, G, for these great questions and for your faith in me. Bless you!




No comments:

Post a Comment