Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Incredible Egg



For years eggs have had a bad reputation for contributing to high cholesterol and heart disease. It is widely understood now that a person's blood cholesterol levels are based on a number of factors including genetics and lifestyle behaviors. It's true that eggs are high in cholesterol. In fact, one large egg yolk contains about 200 mg, but it also offers the health benefits of Omega-3's; vitamins A, D, E; carotenoids and even dietary iron. The egg white is almost entirely protein and contains very little dietary fat. Putting the two together creates a high quality, nutrient dense food to which I believe, when consumed in balance with other natural and unprocessed foods, can be an important part of a well rounded diet.


Besides being nutritious, eggs are a quick, easy, economical and versatile meal option. Choosing organic and cage-free really is best. A dozen runs a little over $4 at my local grocery store and right at $4 at my local farmers market. To some, this price may seem a little high for a dozen eggs, but please let me put it into perspective for you. A pound of Greenwise ground round at my local Publix will cost me 6-7 dollars per pound and a pound of hormone and antibiotic pumped ground round runs 3-4 dollars per pound. I can feed my family of four a meal on 8 eggs or 1 lb of beef. With that being said, it's clear to me the better value in terms of price and nutrition.


Our recipe today is a yummy Spinach Omelet with Crumbled Goat Cheese. This is one I learned when I was in college and working at a Greek restaurant in Sacramento. I appreciate the high quality ingredients the owner uses in her recipes. I have altered it slightly to make it my own.


Step 1: I start by washing 2 eggs thoroughly as salmonella bacteria can linger on the shell. Using cage free eggs greatly reduces the risk of salmonella. I have had food poisoning in the past and it's not something I want to relive or worse, expose to my children, so I use MyClyns Food Wash to clean the shells of my eggs. It comes in a convenient spray and washes away 98% of contaminants food.


Step 2: Heat skillet over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of butter or oil. Coconut, grape seed and olive oils are all good options.


Step 3: Crack eggs in bowl and whisk. Add minced garlic, sea salt and pepper to taste.


Step 4: Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen organic spinach leaves and saute until wilted.


Step 5: Add eggs to pan and allow them to coat the bottom evenly, just as you would any other omelet.


Step 6: When eggs look sufficiently cooked after a few minutes, pull up the edges and flip gently to cook the other side through.


Step 7: Fold over the omelet and use a spatula to gently place on a small plate.


Step 8: Sprinkle omelet with goat cheese crumbles and serve with fresh fruit.


Enjoy!!






No comments:

Post a Comment